Saturday, August 27, 2011

Sydney Modern Quilt Guild

I've always believed that quilting is such a diverse art form that there was something for everyone that wanted to quilt. It's truer today than it was when I started quilting in the early nineties.
It's been exciting to be a quilter in these times and to have more fabric, more tools and techniques available.
The Modern Quilt Guild seems to be filling a gap for another group of quilters and that movement is spreading around the world.

Claire and Suzanne have decided to start a Sydney chapter which you can read all about on their blog and fill out a form to register your interest over here.


I'm not going to attempt to try and define what modern quilting is about, I think some others have defined it pretty well. I did read a good article in the August/September issue of the Quilters Newsletter and there is much to be read on the Modern Quilt Guild Blog.

13 comments:

Oops-Lah said...

I wish I could join, but it's a bit too far for me to come to meetings (at last not regularly ;(!

Shirley said...

There is a place for everything and if that is what makes you excited then it is ok. It is not for me although I appreciate the time and skill that goes into making such quilts. It would be a sad world if these diverse things didn't exist.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Anything that encourages and supports an art/ craft that I love so much is a fabulous thing in my book. I don't consider myself a modern quilter or a traditional quilter, just being a quilter is good enough for me.

*karendianne. said...

Superb News!!! Anytime quilting can grow and spread in any of its forms is a grand thing! I just love quilting and the joy that it brings. We need the infusion of talent and new ideas else we stagnate. Yeah for the Sydney Modern Quilt Guild keeping it going and growing.

Juliann said...

It is lovely that there is room for each of us. I remember a time when that wasn't so. I am loving the bags you have been making too. Fun stuff.

Nat Palaskas said...

So much we can do with quilting skills. I definitely a quilter outside of quilter's box! Interesting post Janet - Hugs Nat

Pinkadot Quilts said...

I agree there is something for everyone, that is what makes it so fun!

Barb said...

I think it's great the way this is taking off. I like that it's defined as "modern" and not art. Art is so subjective, modern seems to mean fresh.
Are you joining the movement? and guild?

FlourishingPalms said...

How nice that you're promoting this for Claire. She and I swapped several emails about MQG before she took the plunge on behalf of Sydneysiders. Here in Des Moines, Iowa, we've had four meetings of our new chapter. Still a small group, but we're slowly getting the word out. A huge guild of 500 or so is already in this area, so it will be interesting to see who decides if they like modern. I sure do!

Crispy said...

You are right, there is always something to appeal to anyone who wishes to quilt. We may not all love the different styles, but it's fun looking at them anyway :0)

Crispy

Abby and Stephanie said...

Whether modern/contemporary or traditional I say we do whatever tickles our fancy. So many choices today, like you said, and anything goes. Nothing is tabu! Create for the joy of it. :o) No one else's opinion matter.

Carrie P. said...

I just found out that we have one of those starting up in my city. I might have to check it out.

Robin said...

I haven't been able to make it to the MQG chapter here as of yet. But I do belong to another local (much closer to home) guild and I love it. It is so wonderful and inspiring to be a part of a community of people who share my passion.